A saying here at RYS has been "Mussels for Muscles!", for quite some time now!
Why do we say this?
We train intensely, but intelligently! Quickly, but effectively! We never waste a single inch of any range of motion for any exercise. Developing our physique is only one component for a healthier lifestyle! To develop our physique, we not only have to train properly with weights, but we must implement the other components as well! There are many important components to health, but this post is about nutrition. If you aren’t properly fueling your body, your training can and will become destructive and catabolic, rather than energizing and anabolic!
"Take all the supplements and minerals you want, it won't help. Use foods like fruit and shellfish (among others) to provide your body with fuel and the right minerals to aid in energy production and tissue growth."
I'm sure you're familiar with the saying "You don't develop your body in the gym, you develop it in the kitchen and with sleep and recovery tactics!" If you're constantly training, but not eating properly, your body will break down, injuries occur, and no progress will be made! We recommend a lot of nutritious food, but we particularly love to supplement with shell fish!
Why do we love shellfish?
"Did you know copper actually helps to convert inactive thyroid to active thyroid hormone! Eat right (shellfish, whitefish and liver) and don't over supplement on it as it can be toxic!"
Shellfish, specifically MUSSELS, oysters, clams, shrimp, lobster, scallops and crab, are all good sources of high quality protein! Proteins, while often over-consumed, are vitally important for building muscle and sculpting the physique! Shellfish contain vitamins A, C, D and E, and the B vitamins. It's also an exceptional source of vitamin B12, which is required for every metabolic process in the body!
"Eating low-fat seafood (sole, whitefish, turbot, scallops, oysters, lobster, shrimp, squid, etc.) once in a while can provide useful trace minerals, without much risk. However, fish from some parts of the ocean contain industrial contaminants in the fat, and large fish such as tuna, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and halibut contain toxic amounts of mercury in the muscles."
When supplying the body properly and consistently with vital nutrients, you will not fail to see progress if you're following a consistent training program (provided you are performing the movements correctly and with a purpose.) We go over all of this, and more, in each of our programs when we work with clients! We take out the guess work!
Where to find good quality Shellfish in Pittsburgh!
- Whole Foods Market is located on 5580 Centre Avenue, and offers a wide variety of delicious shellfish.
- The East End Food Coop doesn't have a a lot to choose from but they have a limited supply of shellfish that can be purchased.
• Shellfish contains vitamins A, C, D and E, and the B vitamins.
• Shellfish are an exceptional source of vitamin B12, which is required for every metabolic process in the body
• Copper actually helps to convert inactive thyroid to active thyroid hormone
• To simplify, thyroid health is very important, so eating foods that nourish our thyroid will allow us to develop and sculpt our bodies by being able to train effective and consistent.
• To recover properly and continually progress, we have to nourish our body and mind with the proper fuel/food! Shellfish does just that by providing an abundance of nutrients.
• Whole foods Market and The East End Food Coop both sell good quality fish/shellfish.
1. EastWest Healing
2. Raymond Peat, PhD