"Magnesium is needed in every part and system of the body and is required by 300 different enzymes each of which initiates or speeds up biochemical reactions in the body." – EastWest Healing
"Probably other minerals will enter the skin as easily - magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) is a traditional treatment for inflammations. Since carbon dioxide dissolves best in 'oil loving' material such as the skin, it enters the body even against a concentration gradient. Adding baking soda to an epsom salts soak should make it more effective." – Raymond Peat, PhD.
Baking soda is a good source of carbon dioxide and works well with Epsom salt, which makes the bath much more effective. Epsom salt is a great way to get magnesium into our body!
WHY YOU SHOULD START INCORPORATING BAKING SODA AND EPSOM SALT BATHS
- STRESS: Baking soda and epsom salt baths help relieve stress! When you are under stress, magnesium is lowered and our adrenaline hormone is elevated. In the short term this is perfectly fine, but long term elevation of stress hormones can harm the body and cause problems. The best way to make sure your stress hormones are held in check is to eat well consistently through out the day, as well as managing your stress with perspective, relaxed thoughts and feelings. However, sometimes a nice warm bath is just what is needed to help.
“Instead of taking dietary supplements, it is far safer in general to use real foods, and to exclude foods which are poor in nutrients. For example, magnesium is typically deficient in hypothyroidism, and the safest way to get it is by using orange juice and meats, and by using epsom salts baths.” – Raymond Peat, PhD
- INFLAMMATION, PAIN, AND CRAMPING: Taking the necessary steps to make sure we are taking care of our body is critical! This includes sleeping well, eating well, managing our days properly, etc. Taking an Epsom salt and baking soda bath promotes healing, both mentally and physically. It can help relieve and/or reduce joint pain, headaches, and tension!
- MUSCLE AND MIND RECOVERY: Our daily lives can be pretty demanding! Doing everything we can to prevent physical and mental damage is imperative to health and wellness! Working out is great for the body/mind, but a lack of recovery over time can lead to injuries and health issues. Baking soda and Epsom salt baths are great for muscle recovery and growth. We tear our muscles down in the gym, but it is what we do outside of the gym through nutrition and the like that help support them and develop them. Baking soda and Epsom baths included!
- SLEEP: Baking soda and Epsom salt baths can promote restful deep sleep for those suffering from sleep issues like insomnia. However, be careful because it can also keep people awake and give them energy. Be aware of how it makes YOU feel so you can determine what time of the day is best for you to take the bath!
HOW TO START INCORPORATING BAKING SODA AND EPSOM SALT BATHS
A 1 cup to 1 cup ratio is a good starting place! However, some people do quite well with a lot more (some even up to 4-5 lbs of Epsom salt.) The only way to find out is to listen to how you feel after the session and adjust accordingly,
If you do not have a bath available then taking foot baths is a cheaper alternative version that is beneficial as well.!
- BE CAREFUL: Make sure to drink or eat something sweet during the baths to prevent low blood sugar. If the water gets too hot, you are more susceptible to blood sugar falling, which will create the opposite response we want from the bath.
1. The Benefits of Epsom Salt Baths by EastWest Healing