Sugar cravings are no fun, especially if you decide on depriving yourself. However, if you are craving something, it means your body is working, and it's letting you know it is has a need. Listen to your body!
"Have you ever noticed that cravings often parallel times of stress and/or anxiety? Before you even have a chance to think, you find yourself stuffing your face with a donut, chips and other convenience food that leave you feeling guilty and unsatisfied! Not eating enough, eating the improper balance and unmanaged stress all contribute to uncontrollable cravings. Cravings are the body’s signal it is not receiving the proper fuel!"
The problem that arises with these cravings is that more often than not, we select foods that are "convenient" (in the form of muffins, cakes, pre-packaged cereal bars etc.) The problem with eating these types of foods is that they contain a host of other ingredients that do not support health. They also leave us with low blood sugar shortly after consuming them. The glucose present in these forms of food (grains) excite the insulin reaction.
1. Blood sugar dysregulation
2. Lower body temperature. Cold hands, feet, nose.
3. Moody, irritable, tired but wired, midday fatigue.
4. Fat gain
5. Muscle loss and/or hard to develop muscle
Favor and Choose Fruit Instead
Fruit is a far superior option to combat sugar cravings. It offers the best source of fuel because it contains two types of sugar: glucose and fructose. Glucose being used for your immediate fuel, and fructose helping suppress the rise of insulin (which is a hormone that carries sugar into your cells where it is needed and not in the blood.)
1. How to Stop Sugar Cravings by EastWest Healing
2. The Secrets of Sugar - How to Stop Sugar Cravings by EastWest Healing
3. You Are Not Addicted to Sugar. Listen to Your Cravings by Cheryl Frost
4. Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context by Raymond Peat, PhD